
Reading seems to be the theme of the day.
First I'll give a quick shout out to my friend, Elizabeth who attended her first bookclub meeting last night. Let me repeat that...Elizabeth attended her first bookclub last night. This is of note because Elizabeth does not, in fact, read. She doesn't read books, magazines, or really anything. And this is a known fact....she touts it on her myspace and facebook pages and regularly during literary conversations. Ok, so we probably don't have too many literary convos, but you get the point.
On the flip side, I was amazed by a story/guest who appeared on Ellen today. Alfred Williams is the most adorable 70 year black man I've ever seen. Over 60 years ago Alfred dropped out of first grade to go to work in the fields so he could help his family. But in doing so, he also made a promise to his mother that he has now made good on....he has learned to read. Alfred joined a first grade elementary class and participated on all levels. When they played, he played...when they learned to read...he learned to read. It was adorable to watch the clips of the kiddos talking about their "friend" Alfred...this 70 year old black man in a virtually all white first grade class. Amazing. Alfred is adorable. So full of life and one of the best smiles I've ever seen. He is proud to say that he can now read. While on the show, Ellen presented Alferd with a check for $10,000 that Alferd said he was going to use to build a house. What an amazing story.
Now I'm not what you would call a great reader. I have a very limited attention span and I have a bit of a reading comprehension problem. I'm sure it's nothing the right drug couldn't fix....but I've come this far might be too late. It takes me quite a while to plow through a book....as you can probably tell by the almost static portion of my blog "On The Nightstand." My reading mentor is Ashley. That girl can read. I've never seen anyone master the art of blocking out the world quite like her as she devours a book. Impressive. Anyway, I'm currently reading a great book about the circus in the 1930s. Doesn't really sound all that great, but it is fascinating and well written. I'll give you a book report when I'm done....it a month or three!
Happy reading....well not you Lizzie. :)
First I'll give a quick shout out to my friend, Elizabeth who attended her first bookclub meeting last night. Let me repeat that...Elizabeth attended her first bookclub last night. This is of note because Elizabeth does not, in fact, read. She doesn't read books, magazines, or really anything. And this is a known fact....she touts it on her myspace and facebook pages and regularly during literary conversations. Ok, so we probably don't have too many literary convos, but you get the point.
On the flip side, I was amazed by a story/guest who appeared on Ellen today. Alfred Williams is the most adorable 70 year black man I've ever seen. Over 60 years ago Alfred dropped out of first grade to go to work in the fields so he could help his family. But in doing so, he also made a promise to his mother that he has now made good on....he has learned to read. Alfred joined a first grade elementary class and participated on all levels. When they played, he played...when they learned to read...he learned to read. It was adorable to watch the clips of the kiddos talking about their "friend" Alfred...this 70 year old black man in a virtually all white first grade class. Amazing. Alfred is adorable. So full of life and one of the best smiles I've ever seen. He is proud to say that he can now read. While on the show, Ellen presented Alferd with a check for $10,000 that Alferd said he was going to use to build a house. What an amazing story.
Now I'm not what you would call a great reader. I have a very limited attention span and I have a bit of a reading comprehension problem. I'm sure it's nothing the right drug couldn't fix....but I've come this far might be too late. It takes me quite a while to plow through a book....as you can probably tell by the almost static portion of my blog "On The Nightstand." My reading mentor is Ashley. That girl can read. I've never seen anyone master the art of blocking out the world quite like her as she devours a book. Impressive. Anyway, I'm currently reading a great book about the circus in the 1930s. Doesn't really sound all that great, but it is fascinating and well written. I'll give you a book report when I'm done....it a month or three!
Happy reading....well not you Lizzie. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment