I'd classify New Year's Eve 2009 as one of the most random in my 33 year history. Most of the usual suspects were traveling, had recently given birth, about to give birth, and the like....but a few regulars of Leigh Leigh Land stuck it out and made the best of what turned out to be a pretty fun evening.
It seems fitting that we rang in 2009 at Ego's. You may have seen Ego's referenced a time or two here in Leigh Leigh Land and I'm afraid I haven't explained it in all its glory. I cannot, however, take credit for discovering (or rediscovering in some cases) Ego's, but I can say that I have quickly taken to it and intend to continue the relationship whenever possible.

So what is Ego's? Well....its sort of shady. Located on South Congress, in the bottom of a seedy little office building, through a dank and dreary parking lot you'll find this little gem. The people....well they are quite a motley crew. You have the old cowboy who likes to lend his voice to Waylon, Willie, and the boys. You have the thug (for lack of a better word) who loves the loud headbanging stuff. Liz....the karaoke host that you just have to meet to experience. And a variety of others....that give true meaning to the word character. And, it's a karaoke bar. About 10 o'clock each evening the mics come up and the amateurs take to the stage.....and Lord knows I love a good stage.
Ego's is always a blast and this New Year's it did not disappoint..I think mostly because it just seemed like another night only with the added elements of terrible champagne, hats, blowers, a countdown, and some hugging and kissing. Ryan, Ted, and Hogan lended their voice to a few country tunes while Drew borrowed one of my faves "You're Just To Good To Be True" and I chose Loverboy's "Working For The Weekend". And of course, Ted and Winn serenaded us with their usual duet from The Righteous Brothers.
My favorite part of the night had to be the end (which is something I rarely say)....but as they began to turn on the lights at Ego's we were greeted by a little green guy. What... you ask? A little green guy. Head to toe...with no skin showing...not even his eyes....covered in green. Only in Austin. Here are a few pics of our little green friend.
All in all it was a great evening except for the fact that I've misplaced my favorite John Hardy ring. I'm in denial about it I think and still holding out hope it turns up somewhere. But...it's nothing that can't be replaced.
I hope that you all also celebrated in style and that 2009 is good to you and yours.
Click here for more pics of the little green guy and the rest of our New Year's Eve celebration.
1 comment:
sounds like Ego's was fun, however, you were missed here in Funkytown!!!!!!!
Post a Comment