Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Trout Slayer Extraordinaire


Many of you know that I am a trout slayer extroindonaire. Ok, I admit that is a bit of a stretch (as proven in the picture above), but I do love to fly fish, especially on the beautiful waters in Montana. A girl fly fishing you ask! And to that I say, yes. It seems we are growing in numbers. And, I'd like to think that me and my comrades have a little to do with the movement.

A friend of mine (and fly fishing guide), Banning, recently turned me on to another female who has taken a sip of the fly fishing koolaid. The Fly Fish Chick. She has a great blog.....devoted mostly to all things fly fishing. I highly enjoy her entries. Even if you are not the angler that I am (yes, I can see your eyes rolling) I think you'll enjoy it too.

In one of her recent posts, she brings up a great debate on whether or not one should listen to an iPod while fishing. I had ever intent of commenting on this post, but never got around to it, so I thought I'd bring this insighful debate to Leigh Leigh Land.

I know that fishing is supposed to be quiet. That you are supposed to be one with nature. To that I say BOOOOO! Music makes me happy. It can be an instant pick me up and improves my mood. Why wouldn't I want to listen to something that put me in the best of moods while I did one of my favorite things. As most of you know, I hardly go anywhere without my trusty iPod and travel speakers (see My Favorite Things blog entry), so why in the world would I consider fishing without it?!?!?

We even actually create a special playlist for the day, complete with the perfect "lead off song." Votes are being tallied as we speak for this year's lead off song....last year's was Yeah by Usher and the year before was London Bridge by Fergie which will probably go down as the best lead off song ever...for "you had to be there" reasons. But, I digress....

I must admit that my Montana guides were a bit thrown off the first time I pulled out it out and "podded up", but they have taken to it nicely over the years. And, it absolutely doesn't affect the fishing....as proven by both my guide Rod and Ashley's guide McCreedy. I guess I'll have to blame my lack of actual catches on user error. What can you say, I'm a work in progress.

Here's McCreedy in action last year on the Flathead River in Montana jamming to a little Ja Rule and Rod in action jamming to a little 2Pac.




And after a great day of fishing we even take the pod and speakers into our fave post fishing watering hole....Woody's (which is located in a gas station...classic).


So clearly I am a fan of the iPod on a great day of fishing. What about you?

No comments: