Thursday, March 20, 2008

What would Emily Post Do?


I’ve been a little all over the place today. Blame it on the oversized iced-tea I had for lunch, or whatever you choose, but try to follow my train of thought on this one and you’ll get a little glimpse of what it’s like to live inside my head. It exhausts me just thinking about it.

Today I found a great new blog to stalk….What Would Emily Post Do? (I can’t get her RSS feed to work, so I’ll make a mental note to check in on her from time to time.) Anyway, I was reading my Thursday edition of Austin Tidbits which filled me in on the new book from Anna Post, the great-great-granddaughter of the etiquette guru herself…Emily Post. I’m a book-aholic, even if I never actually read them, so I can’t wait to get my hands on the new book, Emily Post’s Wedding Parties…although the truth is, with the amount of weddings I’ve been to and been in I probably could have written a similar such book.

Back to the blog…..today’s Austin Tidbit links to Anna Post’s blog. I heart it. It’s full of great little tidbits, advice, and more. One of the past blog entries linked to a stationary store in New York called Cloud Nine. Now if there’s anything I like as much as a shoe store, it’s definitely a stationary store. Their sight is not all that impressive, but I was struck by their tag line/description….”luxe papery & accoutrements.” Accoutrements!!!! As many of you know….I heart the word accoutrements.

So, on to the point of my email….I just wanted to share with you all one of my favorite words. I am not sure I always use it correctly, but…really, when do I ever use words correctly?!?!

Accoutrement
ac·cou·ter·ment or ac·cou·tre·ment (ə-kōō'tər-mənt, -trə-) n.

1. An accessory item of equipment or dress. Often used in the plural.
2. Military equipment other than uniforms and weapons. Often used in the plural.
3. accouterments or accoutrements Outward forms of recognition; trappings: cathedral ceilings, heated swimming pools, and other accoutrements signaling great wealth.
4. Archaic The act of accoutering.

I especially like #4....the art of accoutering. Now, that's a phrase I can latch on to.

No comments: