Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Do we really care?

What is this recent obsession with Miss Puerto Rico and the pepper spray incident? When did the news media become so obsessed with pageants? I mean....they are "fine" (Alicia - thought you'd appreciate that), but does this really need to be covered every day this week on the Today Show?!?!?!

If you have been hiding under a rock, then you might not know that Ingrid Marie Rivera, was crowned Miss Puerto Rico in San Juan, Nov. 23rd. Rivera become the island's 2008 Miss Universe contestant beating out beat 29 rivals. She alleges that her makeup and evening gowns had been laced with pepper spray, but labs indicate that they were in fact clean. Again, I ask...either way....do we really?

I admit, I am not a fan of the pageant scene...it's a lot of hoopla and a lot of pomp and circumstance around something that I think is outdated and unnecessary, but I digress. I was able to get lots of inside knowledge about pageant life from my college roommate of 3 years who on the Miss Texas pageant circuit. I will tell you that's an interesting little world.

I realize that by writing about this, it actually adds to the insanity of this media frenzy, but I couldn't help it....I just needed to rant. Enough already with the story on this girl. I don't care if her make-up or dress was laced with anything....nor do I care that's she's actually Miss Puerto Rico. Aren't there other things we should be hearing about on the news....goings on across the world, the war, the elections, Britney's train wreck of a life, etc.

Enough already.

No comments: