Monday, January 21, 2008

M is for Merkin

I must start today's entry with a bit of a disclaimer for those who may be sensitive to all things inappropriate....this entry might not be for you. For those who are willing...read on.

Do you know what a Merkin is? I didn't until this fall when I was introduced to the term by some friends from Fort Worth (whose names I've chosen to omit to protect the not so innocent). I thought it was just one of those made up words that somehow had legs and had made it's way into our conversation around the late night fire pit at the ranch. But, I was wrong.

The merkin reappeared in my life on Friday night. I should rephrase that....the word merkin reappeared in my life on Friday night. While playing a mean game of "Kings" we came upon a 7 card (which in the game Kings means you pick a letter and then everyone around the table has to come up with a word that starts with that letter. Well, you can guess where this is going....the letter "m" was chooses and when it came around to me...the only thing I could think of was "merkin"....Lord only knows why!

I was immediately challenged by the group that I had made up this word. I mean...what about me would make anyone think I had made up a word?!?!? So (thank goodness for iPhones) it was immediately googled and it proved that Merkin is indeed a word. So, consider this your lesson du jour...you can thank me later.

Merkin
A pubic hair-piece. A toupee for the pubic area/genitals.
In the 1700’s when mercury was used to treat sexually transmitted diseases (Gonorrhea or Syphilis) one of the side effects was the loss of pubic hair. To disguise this condition, that was not cured by mercury, a Merkin was employed.


We've come a long way, haven't we?!?! A toupee for the public area? I mean....don't we pay our good, hard-earned money to do just the opposite?!?!

My how times change.

P.S. I thought I would forgo a picture on this entry for reasons that are obvious. You can thank me later.

1 comment:

Paige Horras said...

THIS MADE ME LAUGH OUT LOUD!!!