
I realize I'm starting to beat a dead horse here, but I must bitch about summer yet again. But rather then rant in today's entry I thought I'd share some interesting facts.
Note - - - while these facts will be new to most of us, they will be elementary for Jenn, Ash, Patrick, and the like - - - some of us actually fell asleep in astronomy class - - - and yes, we did have our own Planetarium in our high school, which I've recently learned is a rarity. Hey, they don't call it "the bubble" for nothing.
So on the lesson at hand. I recently read that there are actually 40 "dog days of summer" and we are smack in the middle of them.
So on the lesson at hand. I recently read that there are actually 40 "dog days of summer" and we are smack in the middle of them.
Where did the "dog days" get that name you ask?! Well look no further than the constellation Canis Major. They are specifically named after Sirius, the Dog Star, which shines its brightest from July 3rd to August 11th....which are technically the true "dog days of summer." During this time the ancient Greeks and Romans believed that the star was responsible for the heat and thus blamed it for a myriad of problems....sickness, drought, and the like.
Today we refer to the "dog days" as those miserably long, hot days when there seems to be no end in sight. In my book the "dog days" are August and September. September wears me out....its that month, when you think it should be getting cooler....(you know that season fall, well us Texans don't actually have a fall)...but it doesn't actually get cooler until October and sometimes even November. I can remember many a Halloween where I was roasting.
Oh no, I have digressed into another rant...well it seems no matter how hard I try not to complain about my long time foe, summer, I cannot hold back.
Today we refer to the "dog days" as those miserably long, hot days when there seems to be no end in sight. In my book the "dog days" are August and September. September wears me out....its that month, when you think it should be getting cooler....(you know that season fall, well us Texans don't actually have a fall)...but it doesn't actually get cooler until October and sometimes even November. I can remember many a Halloween where I was roasting.
Oh no, I have digressed into another rant...well it seems no matter how hard I try not to complain about my long time foe, summer, I cannot hold back.
Happy melting.
No comments:
Post a Comment