
This will come as no shock to you all, but I am really not a fan of summer. I think one of my favorite movie quotes sums up my sentiments very nicely. "Don't you understand, the white people are melting!?!?" It's sooooo freaking hot all the time. Since the first day of winter is not until December 21st, I figured I better try and think of something nice to say about summer. So, I racked my brains and here's what I came up with. Consider this a sort of "favorite things...summer edition"....and know that coming up with these was quite an effort on my part.
Fruit
One great thing about summer, is all the great fruit that's in season. I particularly partial to fresh cherries and yummy Texas peaches. I had a peach the other day that was so juicy and good that I just about had to take a bath after eating it. And watermelon. Does anything say summer like watermelon? I really can't think of another time that I even eat watermelon. Another fave summer fruit is the huckleberry. Certainly not native to Texas, but each August when I'm in Montana we love to pick up a bag of fresh huckleberries. We usually make fresh huckleberry daiquiri’s and other assorted yummies. Nothing is quite as refreshing on a super hot summer day as nibbling on (or sipping on) some delicious, seasonal, fresh fruit.


So, there's that.....what else???
How about flip flops? Yeah, yeah. Flip flops are another great thing about summer. They are comfy, casual, and go with just about anything. Certainly living in Austin gives me a flip flop advantage, as it is practically a uniform around here. That reminds me.....I'm on the hunt for a cute pair of nude leather flops. Can't seem to find them anywhere. Let me know if you have a tip.

Already, that's two....hmmm.
Well, I can't forget the pool, the lake, and the beach. I am a total water weenie. (Too bad no one I know has a boat - - - hint, hint - - - you know who you are - - ha) . I absolutely heart being in, on, and near the water....but I'm partial to the "in" part. In fact, I consider myself quite gifted in the art of floating. Is that an art, you ask.....why yes. There are plenty of people who are good on a raft, noodle or the like....but I proudly declare that I am. Hey, I have to be good at something.



Ok, ok....on a roll now.
Oh, and summer vacations. I've had one already....to the Florida coast with the fam. And, am anxiously awaiting another....annual trip to Montana in August. Can't wait. I guess you never out grow that "school's out for summer" mentality. Seems like everyone I know is jet setting here, or road tripping there. And since everyone is in vacation mode - - - the summer attitude is prevalent. You know....that lazy summer day attitude. It's kinda nice.


So, there you have it....my reasons for living during these dog days of summer. Maybe there's something to this summer thing.....although I think I'll stay a cool weather girl forever.
Fruit
One great thing about summer, is all the great fruit that's in season. I particularly partial to fresh cherries and yummy Texas peaches. I had a peach the other day that was so juicy and good that I just about had to take a bath after eating it. And watermelon. Does anything say summer like watermelon? I really can't think of another time that I even eat watermelon. Another fave summer fruit is the huckleberry. Certainly not native to Texas, but each August when I'm in Montana we love to pick up a bag of fresh huckleberries. We usually make fresh huckleberry daiquiri’s and other assorted yummies. Nothing is quite as refreshing on a super hot summer day as nibbling on (or sipping on) some delicious, seasonal, fresh fruit.

So, there's that.....what else???
How about flip flops? Yeah, yeah. Flip flops are another great thing about summer. They are comfy, casual, and go with just about anything. Certainly living in Austin gives me a flip flop advantage, as it is practically a uniform around here. That reminds me.....I'm on the hunt for a cute pair of nude leather flops. Can't seem to find them anywhere. Let me know if you have a tip.

Already, that's two....hmmm.
Well, I can't forget the pool, the lake, and the beach. I am a total water weenie. (Too bad no one I know has a boat - - - hint, hint - - - you know who you are - - ha) . I absolutely heart being in, on, and near the water....but I'm partial to the "in" part. In fact, I consider myself quite gifted in the art of floating. Is that an art, you ask.....why yes. There are plenty of people who are good on a raft, noodle or the like....but I proudly declare that I am. Hey, I have to be good at something.
Ok, ok....on a roll now.
Oh, and summer vacations. I've had one already....to the Florida coast with the fam. And, am anxiously awaiting another....annual trip to Montana in August. Can't wait. I guess you never out grow that "school's out for summer" mentality. Seems like everyone I know is jet setting here, or road tripping there. And since everyone is in vacation mode - - - the summer attitude is prevalent. You know....that lazy summer day attitude. It's kinda nice.
So, there you have it....my reasons for living during these dog days of summer. Maybe there's something to this summer thing.....although I think I'll stay a cool weather girl forever.
1 comment:
hey leigh-
i got a great pair of nude leather flips at cotton island. they are bernardos and not the ones with the big circle ring or anything fancy-just plain with two straps like reefs. i know st. bernard also carries bernardos.
kstewart
Post a Comment