Monday, September 15, 2008

RIP to MTV's TRL


What's a teeny bopper to do? (Do "they" even call them teeny boppers anymore?). Today I read the sad news that MTV's long running music video countdown show Total Request Live (TRL) will come to an end in November. I'm sad about this for two reasons....

(1) it brings back great memories of my Backstreet Boys obsessed years (and they really weren't that long ago). I used to record TRL every day to see where the newest BSB song fell and if by chance they were popping by for an interview. I have even been known to vote on a BSB song a time or two. Sadly, that's not the most embarrassing thing I've ever done regarding my favorite boy band...but that's another post. TRL was the show where we all learned that our beloved AJ had checked himself into rehab. I remember it like it was yesterday...

(2) I'm thinking that with TRL off the air, MTV may not actually air any music videos at all. Am I right? Between My Super Sweet 16, A Shot At Love With Tia Tequila 2 (btw - are two seasons of this really necessary?!?!), and Paris Hilton's My New BFF I'm just not sure there are any shows that actually show music. Doesn't music put the "M" in MTV....isn't music the defining factor of MTV. This is certainly not a new complaint about MTV, but I think our last bastion of music on the Music Television network will soon be no more.


The truth is, it has been the same since Carson Daly left. I was never really a card carrying member of the Carson Daly fan club, but he was arguably the best host of the show...back when they showed the entire length of the videos (or most of it anyway) and when there weren't a whole bunch of mind-numbing games.

I'm proud to say I have grown up (yeah right) and moved on from my days of TRL....but I do admit that I am sad to see it go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: MTV kills brain cells!