
I receieved this in an email from my friend Wendy today. I think it is great and gives us all a different perspective on the holiday that so many people love to hate.
In his book The Radical Leap, Steve Farber writes, "Love is the ultimate motivation of the Extreme Leader: love of something or someone; love of a cause; love of a principle; love of the people you work with and the customers you serve; love of the future you and yours can create together; love of the business you conduct together every day."
I think so often we think of emotional or sensual love only. And yet as Farber reminds us we use the word in lots of other ways. "I love what I am doing." "I would love to invite you to talk to my team." "I love the way you speak the truth." "I love to read." Get the idea?
Love is an intention, an energy to pursue great ideas, noble principles, exciting challenges a compelling vision. As leaders we might not do what we are gifted and talented to do without love. It reminds me of the heart word from the Latin which is cor, which is also the root word for courage. So, without heart and without love we have not the courage to be the best we can be.
"As you may know, today's holiday was originally named for two early Christians who died for their faith. Valentine of Rome was a priest in the Eternal City who was executed around AD 269; Valentine of Terni became bishop of his city around AD 197 and was killed for following Jesus, probably during the persecution of Emperor Aurelian. Today's celebration may have started as a way to honor their memory. And it may be related to Lupercalia, a Roman rite observed on February 15 and connected with fertility."
--Dr. James C. Denison, Pastor for Teaching, Park Cities Baptist Church, Dallas, Texas
Love to you all. How's that for having "feelings in my heart." Ha.
In his book The Radical Leap, Steve Farber writes, "Love is the ultimate motivation of the Extreme Leader: love of something or someone; love of a cause; love of a principle; love of the people you work with and the customers you serve; love of the future you and yours can create together; love of the business you conduct together every day."
I think so often we think of emotional or sensual love only. And yet as Farber reminds us we use the word in lots of other ways. "I love what I am doing." "I would love to invite you to talk to my team." "I love the way you speak the truth." "I love to read." Get the idea?
Love is an intention, an energy to pursue great ideas, noble principles, exciting challenges a compelling vision. As leaders we might not do what we are gifted and talented to do without love. It reminds me of the heart word from the Latin which is cor, which is also the root word for courage. So, without heart and without love we have not the courage to be the best we can be.
"As you may know, today's holiday was originally named for two early Christians who died for their faith. Valentine of Rome was a priest in the Eternal City who was executed around AD 269; Valentine of Terni became bishop of his city around AD 197 and was killed for following Jesus, probably during the persecution of Emperor Aurelian. Today's celebration may have started as a way to honor their memory. And it may be related to Lupercalia, a Roman rite observed on February 15 and connected with fertility."
--Dr. James C. Denison, Pastor for Teaching, Park Cities Baptist Church, Dallas, Texas
Love to you all. How's that for having "feelings in my heart." Ha.
1 comment:
Ok, so I keep checking back to see if you've posted any fun photos. You need to have a fun night out so I can be entertained by your party pics!
Post a Comment