Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Tonight was my first truck run with my regular team for Mobile Loaves & Fishes. Yes, I work for Mobile Loaves & Fishes, but I love it so much that I have actually chosen to volunteer once a month on a regular truck team. So every 2nd Tuesday of each month I'll go out on one of our trucks to feed the homeless, hungry, and working poor. Ashley, Wendy, and Elizabeth have also joined my team and the four of us set out on our first MLF adventure tonight. Ashley was considered a veteran with one other truck run under her belt, but Elizabeth and Wendy were truck run rookies....but they all mastered the art of the truck run ever so quickly.

We made our way through the streets of Austin armed with sandwiches, fruit, milk, juice, lemonade, chips, cookies, hard boiled eggs, and socks. Our first stop was the Sunken Gardens which is an area in Zilker Park where you can find a dozen or so homeless people who range from teens to adults. "Lobster" and "Cheif" are two of the regulars that I know and so I introduced them to my friends. Evidentally today was Lobster's b-day...which I'm a little suspect about...but we gave him an extra cookie nontheless.

After celebrating with Lobster we headed down Riverside Drive east of I-35 were we found a handful of hungry folks including "Old School" and "Worthless Kenny"....who were as gratful as ever for the dinner and the conversation.

Next we crossed "Lady Bird Lake" (I'm not sure when I'll get used to saying that), and fed some folks at a bus stop off of East 7th Street. We also stopped by the van where JP lives to drop off dinner for him, but he wasn't home. JP is quite a character, but one of my favorite people on the streets.
Our last stop is one of my favorite stops and one that was requested by Lizzy....12th and Chicon. For those who don't know it....12th and Chicon is not what you would call the best part of town...but I always have a great time at that stop and it is eye-opening to say the least. Here we emptyed the last bit of food from our truck having passed out 150 meals tonight.
After we had fed our friends on the streets the four of us treated ourselves to dinner at Galaxy Cafe. Great truck run tonight girls. Can't wait until next month!

No comments: