Wednesday, October 3, 2007

One Million Meals

In an effort to allow my workaholic self to actually have some boundries, I typically don't like to blog about work, but I felt like today I could make an exception. I did one of the coolest things I've ever done today and that experience changed me in profound ways....

Today Mobile Loaves & Fishes (where I work) celebrated serving our ONE MILLIONTH MEAL to our homeless and hungry brothers and sisters in need. Quite a feat considering that just 9 years ago our five founders were serving sandwiches out of a minivan. Mobile Loaves & Fishes has reached this incredible milestone with the support and dedication of our more than 9,000 volunteers....who come in all ages, religions, races, etc. What a difference we can make when we all pitch in together.

me..."reverse-panhandling"
on the streets of Austin this morning

This morning we marked this milestone with an unprecedented "reverse-panhandling" promotion. More than 30 MLF volunteers, dressed in special bright orange MLF t-shirts, manned high-traffic street corners throughout the city of Austin from 7:30 to 9am....passing out goody bags to morning commuters. These goody bags were filled with MLF essentials....

  • crackers and candy for them to pass out to homeless individuals the next time they see one on the street corner

  • a plastic egg representing the hard boiled egg - - - our most popular food item on our trucks

  • and an information sheet about MLF and our one millionth meal celebration

We made quite a splash around town and had some great media coverage.

It was a humbling and eye-opening experience for me personally as well. I like to think of myself as somewhat in tune with and sympathetic to the homeless and those who panhandle to survive, but this morning's experience truly changed me. I found that it was a very lonely place to be. Many of the commuters this morning was curious, warm, generous, and welcoming, but I was surprised to find that some people were incredibly cold and do not even smile, make eye contact, or acknowledge me and my fellow volunteers. And, we weren't even asking for anything....we were giving things away....so I can only imagine the vulnerability one must feel as they stand on the street corner day in and day out asking for help.

I do look at this as an opportunity to make a change in my life - - - to be more conscience of those who are panhandling....to remember that they are human beings and they do deserve the love and respect that I give to others. I will smile at them, wave at them, and acknowledge them....whether or not I feel moved to give to them. I encourage you all to do the same. It is transforming for both you and the panhandler. I also look at this as an opportunity to educate others....to try and encourage them to change their views on the homeless, especially those who panhandle. While it does seem to the average person that panhandling would be an "easy way out" of working, I would beg to differ. What I did this morning was one of the most difficult things I've ever done and I imagine it is the same for the panhandlers.


one of our fabulous volunteers "reverse-panhandles" for MLF


I am incredibly proud to be a part of an agency that treats ALL people with dignity and respect and I am grateful for the opportunity that I had this morning to spend a small amount of time "on the other side of the street." I thank all of the MLF volunteers and donors who have helped us reach this amazing milestone. Here's to one million more!!!!

Click here to see some of the news footage and me in action on the streets.